This quiz is not a tool to provide medical advice. It is for informational purposes only and should not be used in place of an actual medical consult, treatment, or diagnosis.
Alcohol is one of the most commonly accepted substances of abuse. It may be difficult to determine if your alcohol consumption meets the criteria for alcohol abuse or alcohol addiction.
To take this quiz, please read the questions below and apply them to the past year (12 months) of your drinking habits.
For every question that you answer ‘yes’ to, give yourself one point. Add up your points at the end of the quiz:
- Have you ever missed work, school, or family obligations the next day due to a heavy drinking session the night before (hangover, being intoxicated, getting arrested)?
- Have you ever been intoxicated in dangerous situations (driving a vehicle, operating heavy equipment, blackouts, riding in a vehicle that the driver was intoxicated)?
- Has alcohol impacted relationships or your social life in a negative way (fighting, loss of relationship)?
- Have you stopped participating in hobbies or other enjoyable activities as a result of your drinking?
- Do you spend a lot of time buying, drinking, or being hungover from alcohol?
- Do you sometimes drink more alcohol than you planned or for longer periods of time than you meant to?
- Do you continue to drink alcohol, despite the negative physical or mental health effects it has on you?
- Do you crave alcohol when you aren’t drinking it?
- Do you have to consume more alcohol than you used to in order to get the same effects?
- Have you tried to stop drinking alcohol or wanted to stop drinking alcohol, but couldn’t?
- Do you experience withdrawal symptoms if you are not drinking alcohol (this includes the severe symptoms of delirium tremens?
If you answered yes to two to three of these questions, you may be diagnosed with a mild alcohol use disorder.
If you answered yes to four to five of the questions above, you may meet the criteria for a moderate alcohol use disorder.
Get Started On The Road To Recovery.
Get Confidential Help 24/7. Call Today!(844) 616-3400
If you answered yes to six or more of the questions above, you could be diagnosed with a severe alcohol use disorder (i.e. heavy drinking, binge drinking).
Recommendations For Individuals With An AUD
Of course, this quiz does not replace a proper assessment for alcoholism or other alcohol problems by a medical professional.
However, if you answered ‘yes’ to a number of the questions listed above, there could be reason for concern that you have an alcohol abuse problem.
It may benefit you or a loved one with substance abuse issues to seek the guidance of an addiction specialist to determine if you meet the criteria for an alcohol use disorder.
Professional treatment helps many people who have serious problems with alcohol by treating both their substance use disorder and any related health problems.
A number of different treatment programs are available, provided by treatment providers throughout the United States, to help you or a loved one conquer addiction.
Just some of these include:
- detox to treat alcohol withdrawal
- drug and alcohol rehab
- support groups
- 12-step groups, such as Alcoholics Anonymous
Our teams of addiction treatment specialists are standing by to discuss your quiz results with you or your addicted family member. Reach out to our helpline today.
Addiction Resource aims to provide only the most current, accurate information in regards to addiction and addiction treatment, which means we only reference the most credible sources available.
These include peer-reviewed journals, government entities and academic institutions, and leaders in addiction healthcare and advocacy. Learn more about how we safeguard our content by viewing our editorial policy.
- American Psychiatric Association—Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders