Indiana offers an array of addiction recovery programs that are tailored to the needs of LGBTQ+ people or their loved ones to help them conquer substance abuse.
Evidence-based treatment services at a LGBT-friendly rehab center may include medical detox, group therapy, dual diagnosis treatment, and more.
List Of LGBTQ+ Drug Rehab Centers In Indiana
The following treatment facilities were selected based on their top qualifications.
Marks of quality include:
- accreditation status
- high Google ratings
- positive reviews from past clients
- licensure and certifications
- other accolades
1. Evolve Indy Recovery Center, Indianapolis, Indiana
Evolve Indy is a substance use treatment center in Indianapolis, IN that helps people in the LGTBTQ+ community overcome addiction.
Treatment options available here include inpatient treatment, intensive outpatient programs (IOP), family therapy, and more.
Best features of this drug and alcohol rehab facility:
- Joint Commission accreditation
- LegitScript certification
- a 4.9-star Google rating
Location and contact information:
8770 Guion Rd.
Indianapolis, IN 46268
Get Started On The Road To Recovery.
Get Confidential Help 24/7. Call Today!(844) 616-3400
2. Northeastern Center, Kendallville, Indiana
People of all sexual orientations and gender identities can benefit from this gender-specific outpatient treatment center in Kendallville, IN.
Treatment options may include:
- crisis intervention
- mental health services
- couples therapy
- telehealth therapy
Northeastern Center is backed by Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) accreditation and positive client testimonials.
Location and contact information:
1930 Dowling St.
Kendallville, IN 46755
Prevalence Of Substance Use In The LGBTQ+ Population
Data from the 2018 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) shows that more than 37 percent of LGBTQ people have reported marijuana use in the past year.
The misuse of prescription opioids or heroin use was at nine percent among LGBT people, whereas over 12 percent reported an alcohol use disorder (AUD).
Factors That Influence Substance Use In The LGBTQ+ Population
There are several factors that may contribute to the prevalence of substance abuse among LGBTQ+ people in Indiana.
Risk factors may include:
- workplace discrimination
- housing discrimination
- lack of affordable healthcare services
- marketing practices from bars, clubs, and restaurants
- co-occurring mental disorders such as bipolar disorder or depression
- stress due to societal prejudice against the gay and transgender population
- post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- a family history of drug or alcohol abuse
These risk factors may be exacerbated if a person is living in an environment where drugs and alcohol are misused.
What To Look For In A LGBTQ+ Addiction Treatment Program In Indiana
If you or your loved one is part of the LGBTQ+ community and in need of addiction treatment, you may be wondering what types of services to look for in a rehab program.
Effective behavioral health treatment services for LGBT people include:
- motivational interviewing
- counseling for mental health issues
- cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- medication-assisted treatment (MAT)
- medically monitored detoxification
- inpatient treatment
- dual diagnosis treatment for co-occurring disorders
- relapse prevention services
- short-term residential treatment
- partial hospitalization programs (PHP)
- family therapy
- support groups for transgender individuals
- group therapy
- aftercare services
Treatment plans for people in the LGBTQ+ community should address issues such as homophobia, transphobia, family problems, social isolation, as well as physical or emotional trauma.
FAQs For LGBTQ+ Addiction Treatment Centers In Indiana
Finding a LGBTQ+ treatment facility may be difficult, but help is available. The commonly asked questions below may help you find a rehab center that works for you.
Do LGBTQ+ Treatment Facilities Offer Gender-Specific Services?
Some LGBTQ+ friendly treatment facilities offer separate treatment programs for men in Indiana, and some offer treatment for women, while others do not.
Do LGBTQ+ Rehab Programs In Indiana Offer Payment Assistance?
Yes, people who identify as LGBTQ+ may qualify for payment assistance plans or a sliding fee scale based on your income, household size, and other factors.
Do All LGBTQ Rehab Centers In Indiana Accept Medicaid Insurance?
Many facilities will accept Indiana Medicaid coverage for substance use treatment, but not all will.
Contact the facility of your choice to learn more about what health insurance plans they accept.
Find A LGBTQ Rehab Center Today
Call our helpline today for more information about LGBTQ-friendly rehab programs in Indiana. Our team can also provide referrals for additional medical advice.
Published on August 4, 2022
Addiction Resource aims to provide only the most current, accurate information in regards to addiction and addiction treatment, which means we only reference the most credible sources available.
These include peer-reviewed journals, government entities and academic institutions, and leaders in addiction healthcare and advocacy. Learn more about how we safeguard our content by viewing our editorial policy.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) — Substance use and SUDs in LGBTQ* Populations
- National Institute of Health (NIH) — The Relationship Between Discrimination and Substance use Disorders Among Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Adults in the United States
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) — Find treatment