LGBTQ+ is an acronym for people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer or questioning. It is a term that describes a person’s sexual orientation or gender identity.
Statistics show that LGBTQ+ people are at much higher risk of developing a substance use disorder (SUD) than those in the general population.
To help address substance abuse in people who identify as LGBTQ+, some Missouri rehab centers offer addiction recovery services geared towards the specific needs of this at-risk population.
List Of LGBTQ+ Addiction Treatment Centers In Missouri
Our team has compiled the following list of top LGBTQ-friendly rehab centers in Missouri.
These facilities may feature top qualities such as:
- nationally recognized accreditations
- high Google ratings
- positive testimonials from past clients
- licensure and certifications
- treatment services specific to LGBTQ+ people
1. Compass Health, St. Robert, Missouri
Compass Health is a behavioral health treatment facility that offers services for LGBT people such as medication-assisted treatment (MAT), dual diagnosis treatment, counseling, and more.
This recovery center is backed by accreditation from the Joint Commission and the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).
Location and contact information:
155 Park Dr.
St. Robert, MO 65584
Get Started On The Road To Recovery.
Get Confidential Help 24/7. Call Today!(844) 616-3400
2. Harris House, Saint Louis, Missouri
Harris House offers specialized treatment services for LGBTQ people in St. Louis, MO. Treatment options may include detox, inpatient treatment, transitional housing, and more.
Top features of this drug and alcohol treatment center include:
- CARF accreditation
- Better Business Bureau (BBB) accreditation
- a high Google rating
Location and contact information:
8315 S. Bdwy.
St. Louis, MO 63111
How Prevalent Is Substance Abuse In The LGBTQ+ Community?
Compared to the general population, the LGBTQ community has higher rates of substance usage, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).
Among LGBTQ+ adults with a substance use disorder, over 50 percent reported misusing illicit drugs and over 64 percent admitted to abusing alcohol.
Additionally, 7.6 million LGBT adults have been reported to have a co-occurring mental illness and substance use disorder.
Factors That Increase Substance Use In The LGBTQ+ Population
Many factors may contribute to the high rate of substance misuse in LGBTQ+ community.
Contributing factors may include:
- discrimination or stigmatization
- hate crimes including emotional abuse, threats, public humiliation, and mockery
- rejection from family or friends as a result of coming out
- loss of employment
- post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- a family history of drug or alcohol abuse
What To Look For In A LGBTQ+ Drug Rehabilitation Program In Missouri
To provide effective treatment, drug and alcohol rehab programs for LGBTQIA+ people should offer evidence-based services in a safe environment free of judgment.
Some of the most effective treatment services for LGBT people include:
- medically monitored detoxification
- MAT for opioid drug addiction
- inpatient treatment
- partial hospitalization programs (PHP)
- intensive outpatient programs (IOP)
- group therapy
- outpatient treatment
- relapse prevention
- dual diagnosis treatment for co-occurring disorders
- family therapy
- support groups for transgender individuals
- support groups for people with alcohol addiction
- mental health services
- sober living
- residential treatment for adolescents
- cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- aftercare services
FAQs For LGBTQ+ Addiction Treatment Programs In Missouri
These frequently asked questions about LGBTQ+ rehab programs in Missouri may help you find a reputable treatment center.
What Should LGBTQ+ Addiction Treatment Plans In Missouri Focus On?
Homophobia, transphobia, family troubles, social isolation, and physical or mental trauma should all be addressed in treatment regimens for LGBTQ+ individuals.
Do LGBTQ+ Treatment Facilities In Missouri Offer Gender-Specific Services?
Some rehab centers will offer separate boarding and treatment programs for women in Missouri, with separate rehab programs for men.
Contact the rehab facility directly to find out more about their policies on gender-specific treatment options.
Can I Be Denied Access To Addiction Treatment In Missouri For Being LGBTQ+?
No. Reputable addiction recovery centers in Missouri will not discriminate against people for their gender identity or sexual identity.
Find A LGBTQ-Friendly Substance Abuse Treatment Center Today
If you’re looking for a reputable LGBTQ rehab center in Missouri, call our helpline today. Our team can assist you in finding a treatment provider that works for you.
Published on August 9, 2022
Addiction Resource aims to provide only the most current, accurate information in regards to addiction and addiction treatment, which means we only reference the most credible sources available.
These include peer-reviewed journals, government entities and academic institutions, and leaders in addiction healthcare and advocacy. Learn more about how we safeguard our content by viewing our editorial policy.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) — Substance use and SUDs in LGBTQ* Populations
- National Institute of Health (NIH) — The Relationship Between Discrimination and Substance use Disorders Among Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Adults in the United States
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) — 2019 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Lesbian, Gay, & Bisexual (LGB) Adults
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) — Find treatment