Addiction Resource is proud to announce our $1,000 college scholarship essay contest.
Higher education can be a valuable part of seeking a long-term career or bettering a person’s lifestyle. We at AddictionResource.net are passionate about supporting higher education, both to help college students reach their goals and in an effort to give back to our community at large.
Scholarship Award Details
- 1st Place: $1,000
- Runner-up: $250
Scholarship Eligibility Submission Requirements
To participate in the scholarship contest, individuals must meet certain eligibility criteria, including:
- Be a student pursuing a college or university degree (Associate’s, Bachelor, Master, Doctorate) or a trade certification in a technical college
- Be enrolled full-time at a post-secondary institution
- Be 18 years or older at time of entry
Essay Contest Background
Binge drinking on college campuses is an issue that greatly affects student performance, health, and addiction rates. In fact, nearly 1 in 3 students in a survey on past-month drinking conducted by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism admitted to binge drinking.
Binge drinking is a form of alcohol abuse, which can lead to alcohol addiction and dependence. When individuals continue to binge drink and do not seek help to stop drinking, they may experience withdrawal effects, become addicted, or face long-term health consequences.
For these reasons, it’s important to bring awareness to the issue of binge drinking on college campuses and to shed light on ways to help prevent alcohol abuse, including binge drinking.
Essay Submission Topic
Research binge drinking rates on college campuses. Calling on your own experience and looking at your campus for a guide, consider and discuss ways that could help prevent and raise awareness of the dangers and consequences of binge drinking.
Create a unique idea for an awareness and prevention campaign, and include the specific ways you would implement this campaign on your campus, given the opportunity. Ensure you are both creative and detail-oriented.
Essay Submission Guidelines
When submitting your essay, please adhere to the following guidelines:
- Essay is your own original work
- Essay is no longer than 1,200 words
- Judgment guidelines: content quality, degree of originality, completeness, and relevancy to the topic
- Essay submission deadline: November 15, 2020
- Scholarship award announcement: December 1, 2020
- Scholarship will be awarded for the January 2021 semester. Scholarship will be awarded directly to the university through the financial aid department (or however the university chooses) to be distributed to the winning student.
How To Enter The Addiction Resource Scholarship Essay Contest
To submit an essay for review in our scholarship contest, follow these steps:
- Ensure you meet all eligibility requirements
- Craft an original essay
Submit your essay via email to email@example.com with “Scholarship Essay Submission” as the subject.
Include within your email your name, age, university/college institution, and preferred email.
Winners will be notified by email—check back on December 1, 2020.
If you have any questions, or want to know more about our scholarship, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Winning essays will appear on our website at AddictionResource.net. and will be used for the purpose of raising awareness for the dangers and consequences of binge drinking on college campuses.
Published on June 15, 2020
Addiction Resource aims to provide only the most current, accurate information in regards to addiction and addiction treatment, which means we only reference the most credible sources available.
These include peer-reviewed journals, government entities and academic institutions, and leaders in addiction healthcare and advocacy. Learn more about how we safeguard our content by viewing our editorial policy.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism — College Drinking