Due to high substance abuse rates among the LGBTQ population, many rehab centers have begun to offer evidence-based treatment services that cater to the needs of sexual minorities.
In South Dakota, treatment options for LGBTQIA+ people may include residential treatment, outpatient treatment, gender identity counseling, and much more.
LGBTQ+ Rehab Facilities In South Dakota
Our team has selected the following South Dakota rehab facilities based on Google ratings, client testimonials, and LGBTQ-friendly treatment services.
The Royal C. Johnson Veterans Memorial Hospital, Sioux Falls, South Dakota
This addiction treatment program in Sioux Falls, SD, offers specialized services for LGBTQIA+ people.
Treatment options may include:
- mental health services
- psychosocial assessments for gender-confirming surgeries
- cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- medication-assisted treatment (MAT)
Marks of quality at this facility include a 4.4-star Google rating and positive testimonials from past clients.
Location and contact information:
2501 W. 22nd St.
Sioux Falls, SD 57105
Get Started On The Road To Recovery.
Get Confidential Help 24/7. Call Today!(844) 616-3400
Prevalence Of Substance Use In The LGBTQ+ Community
The prevalence of alcohol and drug abuse is much higher among LGBTQ people than their heterosexual counterparts.
According to a survey conducted by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) in 2019, over 2.6 million LGBT people aged 18 or older had a substance use disorder (SUD).
Of these, nearly 1.9 million people had both a SUD and a co-occurring mental illness such as depression, anxiety, or bipolar disorder.
Factors That Influence Substance Use In The LGBTQ+ Community
There are many factors that contribute to this disproportionate rate of substance abuse among LGBTQ. Many of these factors have to do with how LGBTQ people are received in their communities.
Contributing factors may include:
- tensions within their family
- domestic violence
- lack of support among peers
- lack of affordable healthcare
- a family history of drug or alcohol addiction
- genetic disposition to addiction
- post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
What To Look For In A LGBTQ+ Drug Rehabilitation Program In South Dakota
LGBTQ+ people seeking help for drug and alcohol addiction may be wondering what types of treatment methods they should be looking for in a rehab program.
Below are some of the most common and effective evidence-based and holistic treatment options provided to people in the LGBTQIA+ community.
Effective behavioral health treatment services may include:
- family therapy
- support groups for people with opioid addiction
- group therapy
- inpatient treatment
- outpatient treatment
- sober living homes
- relapse prevention
- individualized treatment plans for young adults and adolescents
- dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- medically monitored detox
- medication-assisted treatment (MAT)
- partial hospitalization programs (PHP)
- residential treatment for transgender individuals
- intensive outpatient programs (IOP)
- dual diagnosis treatment for co-occurring disorders
- mindfulness meditation classes
- aftercare services
FAQs For LGBTQ+ Rehab Facilities In South Dakota
The frequently asked questions listed below may help you if you still have questions about LGBTQ-friendly rehab centers in South Dakota.
How Can I Pay For A LGBTQ Rehab Facility In South Dakota?
Common payment methods typically include private health insurance coverage, self-payment, and government-issued grant funds.
Additionally, many rehab facilities accept South Dakota Medicaid insurance for substance use treatment.
Do LGBTQ+ Rehab Centers In South Dakota Offer Gender-Specific Services?
There are several facilities in South Dakota that provide separate rehab programs for women and men, but not all will.
Should I Only Attend A LGBTQ Rehab Facility That Is Accredited?
While accreditation status is one mark of quality for substance abuse treatment centers, it should not be your only consideration when selecting a drug and alcohol rehab center.
You should also look at other marks of quality including client testimonials, Google reviews, and types of services they offer.
Find A LGBTQ+ Addiction Treatment Center In South Dakota
Call our helpline today for more information about LGBT-friendly rehab programs in South Dakota. Our team can assist you in finding a treatment provider that works for you.
Published on August 12, 2022
Addiction Resource aims to provide only the most current, accurate information in regards to addiction and addiction treatment, which means we only reference the most credible sources available.
These include peer-reviewed journals, government entities and academic institutions, and leaders in addiction healthcare and advocacy. Learn more about how we safeguard our content by viewing our editorial policy.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) — Substance Use and SUDs in LGBTQ* Populations
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) — 2019 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Lesbian, Gay, & Bisexual (LGB) Adults
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) — Find Treatment