Out-Of-Pocket Costs For Rehab

Medically Reviewed by Johnelle Smith, M.D. on

Like all medical care, addiction treatment programs may come with some out-of-pocket expenses. This may include your deductible, copays, or portions of your treatment program that your insurance company does not cover.

Out-Of-Pocket Costs For Rehab

When looking for addiction treatment, you will want to consider the particulars of your health insurance policy, including what it covers.

Before you commit to a treatment program, spend some time estimating your out-of-pocket costs. To help you, we have information on common out-of-pocket addiction treatment costs below.

Common Out-Of-Pocket Addiction Treatment Costs

An out-of-pocket healthcare expense is anything that you pay for yourself, without the help of insurance coverage or government funding.

Here are some common out-of-pocket costs you may be faced with when paying for addiction treatment.

Insurance Copay

With many insurance plans, a copay is required for particular treatment services, such as a doctor appointment or therapy session, and prescriptions.

Copays typically range in cost from $15 to $50 per service or prescription, but your policy will generally have its own set copay structure.

Government-funded insurance programs also have copays. Depending on the state, Medicaid may have small copays ranging from a couple of dollars to $10.

Copays can change depending on whether or not the treatment center is an in-network provider with the insurance company. There are generally higher copays for out-of-network providers.

Insurance Deductible

The deductible for your insurance policy is the portion that you owe before your insurance begins to pay for your healthcare services.

For example, if you have a $500 deductible, you would pay that amount first and then your coinsurance would kick in.

Some insurance plans have small deductibles, like $500, and some have high deductibles, like $7,500. Contact your insurance company to learn how much your deductible is.


Coinsurance represents what you will owe after your insurance policy begins to cover your care costs. Generally, once your insurance begins paying for treatment, you also share some of that cost.

The amount that you are responsible for is usually based on a percentage. For example, after you meet your deductible, your insurance company may pay for 80% of the remaining treatment, leaving you to pay for 20% of it.

Depending on the overall cost of treatment, the amount could be considerable, especially if it relates to inpatient treatment or a detox program.

However, insurance companies also put a cap on the maximum amount of out-of-pocket expenses that you will pay.

Be sure to contact your insurance company to learn what your coinsurance and maximum out-of-pocket expenses are.

Uncovered Treatment Services

Other out-of-pocket costs could include any treatment services that are not covered by your insurance company.

Holistic therapy options, for example, often are not covered by insurance.

Holistic treatment services may include:

  • acupuncture
  • yoga
  • mindfulness training
  • art therapy

Due to their exclusion of evidence-based treatment, some faith-based treatment centers may not be covered by your insurance.

However, faith-based treatment centers that offer both evidence-based treatment and faith-based services, such as biblical counseling, Bible study groups, or worship services, may be covered.

Long-Term Addiction Treatment

Finally, some long-term addiction treatment programs may not be covered by your insurance. Or your plan may only cover residential treatment up to an allotted amount of time.

Some insurance companies may require prior authorization for long-term treatment, so be sure to find out where your policy stands if you are considering long-term treatment.

Find Addiction Treatment Today

Are you or a loved one looking for addiction treatment? Contact AddictionResource.net today for info about addiction recovery options, the treatment process, and how to get started.

This page does not provide medical advice. See more

Addiction Resource aims to provide only the most current, accurate information in regards to addiction and addiction treatment, which means we only reference the most credible sources available.

These include peer-reviewed journals, government entities and academic institutions, and leaders in addiction healthcare and advocacy. Learn more about how we safeguard our content by viewing our editorial policy.

  • Was this Helpful?
  • YesNo
Medically Reviewed by
Johnelle Smith, M.D. on
Let us walk you through the treatment process. We're here to help.
For 24/7 Treatment Help:
100% Free & Confidential. Call (844) 616-3400