People gain many resources and tools for recovery from a substance use disorder (SUD) while receiving care at an addiction treatment center.
Addiction treatment providers may offer family therapy during the recovery process, which involves family members in their loved one’s recovery while offering the whole family support.
Therapy sessions that include family members help address and resolve emotional and relational issues in the family that may have contributed to the addiction.
Considerations For Family Therapy In Addiction Treatment
Family therapy is typically an option in most addiction treatment programs to help clients heal relationships with family members and address unmet needs.
To find out if this type of therapy is offered by a particular rehab center, reach out to the facility’s helpline or explore its website, where specific services may be listed.
Family therapy sessions often address codependency, enabling behaviors, and communication breakdowns.
Involving the family can help grow a person’s support system, which is vital for long-term recovery. However, family therapy is not always suitable for everyone.
- the client’s willingness
- the family’s willingness
- the therapy’s timing during treatment
Family therapy can occur regularly or during specific milestones, emphasizing the importance of addressing family dynamics to improve the chances of sustained sobriety.
Benefits Of Family Therapy In Drug Rehab Programs
Incorporating family therapy into a drug rehab program offers numerous benefits for the client that are mostly centered around having family members’ support.
Family therapy helps build a client’s support system, fostering understanding and empathy among family members. This often leads to reduced relapse rates.
Secondly, it promotes healthier communication, addressing any dysfunctional patterns that may have contributed to the addiction.
Additionally, family therapy can uncover and resolve underlying issues within the family dynamic, providing a foundation for long-term healing.
Overall, family therapy enhances sustained sobriety, as clients may return home to a more supportive environment or otherwise draw on family support when needed.
Types Of Family Therapy Approaches
Family therapy in addiction treatment employs various approaches tailored to the specific needs of the client and their loved ones.
Some common methods of therapy involving family members include:
- behavioral therapy: focuses on changing unhealthy behaviors by addressing negative thoughts and beliefs
- structural therapy: concentrates on restructuring family roles and relationships to promote healthier dynamics
- strategic therapy: utilizes specific interventions and directives to resolve family conflicts
- narrative therapy: encourages family members to reinterpret their narratives and stories, creating new, healthier narratives
- experiential therapy: engages families in activities or exercises to address issues indirectly and enhance bonding
- systemic therapy: examines how each family member’s actions affect the whole family system, emphasizing interdependence
- communication training: focuses on improving family members’ communication skills
These approaches aim to help not only the person living with the addiction but also their family members, ultimately facilitating healthier relationships and long-term recovery.
Find Treatment For Drug Or Alcohol Addiction Today
Learn more about addiction treatment approaches and find the right treatment center for yourself or a loved one by visiting AddictionResource.net today.
Published on September 27, 2023
Addiction Resource aims to provide only the most current, accurate information in regards to addiction and addiction treatment, which means we only reference the most credible sources available.
These include peer-reviewed journals, government entities and academic institutions, and leaders in addiction healthcare and advocacy. Learn more about how we safeguard our content by viewing our editorial policy.
- National Library of Medicine – Family Interventions: Basic Principles and Techniques